The Seasonal Switch

October 14, 2014

If you can answer "Yes" to either of the following questions, this post is for you :)

1) You cannot fit all of your clothes into one closet
2) Your clothes are stored separately by season

I'm one of those people who has to do the "Whole Switcharoo" when the seasons change....what's the "switcharoo" you ask? 

Its the day long process of switching out your current closet with those items you have stashed away "somewhere else" in your house. For me that "somewhere" else has progressed from storage bins, to suitcases, to the guest closet, to space saver bags and Finally to an extra wardrobe....and maybe an extra space saver bag or two :) 

Since storing all of my clothing in the master closet (also shared by the hubs) isn't really an option...well at least not with my current clothing collection {I admit, it's a bit much :)}, I get to spend a day at the beginning of Spring and another at the beginning of Fall switching out the old and bringing in the new! 

It's a bit therapeutic...really :)  

Here's how I get it done!

This year I picked up this handy little clothing rack from Ikea (found here). 

I used it to sort my Fall clothing as I pulled it out of "storage" :) 


Here's a peak inside the monstrosity that is my off season Wardrobe...but hey, it works ;)


(You can see those little storage bags just chillin' in there...)

Once I start to pull everything out, I always take some time to determine what I want to keep and what I want to donate. I ask myself questions like . . .


Do I like this? 
Did I wear this last year?
Does this fit?
Does this speak to my current style?
Is this the image I want to project?


Once I know what I want to keep, I begin to sort. 

Sorting goes something like this: 1) Determine what will go in the closet, 2) what will go in my chest of drawers, and 3) what needs to be dry cleaned. This is where the rack comes in super handy. 


When I have tops, skirts, sweaters, puffer vests, etc. organized, I'm ready to start moving these pieces into my bedroom.  

Everything Spring and Summer goes into the wardrobe. Everything Fall and Winter goes into my closet and chest of drawers. 


One of the reasons I love having an extra wardrobe is that it keeps all of my off season clothing in one place. It's no longer stashed under the bed, in the guest closet, or in storage. And bonus? It's all easily accessible.

My sister was getting rid of a few pieces of furniture and this not so little beast was on the list. :) If I wasn't able to pick up this wardrobe, I would have chosen this option or this one from Ikea.  They'd do the job just fine :)


Do you have any tips for switching out your seasonal clothing?











No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!